Throwing a baby shower is no small feat, but creating beautiful decorations for it can be an absolute blast! As a lover of all things DIY, I’ve found that there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of creating a one-of-a-kind centerpiece or adorable garland to really tie the whole party together. But let’s be real: the pre-made decor at party supply stores can be pretty lackluster and expensive. So why not take matters into your own hands and make your decorations for baby shower?
I will share with you some creative ideas that will save you money and add a personal touch to the event. From DIY centerpiece ideas to adorable party favors, I’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive into creative ways to make your own decorations for the baby shower.
How to Make Decorations for Baby Shower
I understand how important it is to make the event memorable for the mom-to-be and her guests. So here are tips on how to start decorating your baby shower:
Step 1: Select a Theme
First things first, selecting a gender-neutral, fun theme is essential to get started. Think about the mum-to-be’s interests and preferences and incorporate them into the theme. Once you have the theme, you can start brainstorming all the ways you could bring it to life through your decorations. From there, everything else just fell into place. I realized that picking a theme was crucial. It helped us stay on track and avoid getting sidetracked by all the other ideas you had floating around.
Step 2: Create a Color Palette
The next step is to choose a color palette that matches the theme. This will help to create a cohesive look and feel throughout the venue. For instance, if your theme is a jungle, you could choose green, brown, and yellow as your color scheme. Or, if you are going for a fairy tale theme, try pastel tones like pink and blue. When selecting colors, make sure you choose pastel and soft shades to create a relaxing and inviting atmosphere. But don’t worry if you haven’t decided yet, I will share some theme ideas and color palettes later in this article.
Step 3: Hang Streamers and Balloons
This is usually one of the most fun steps, so gather your baby shower supplies! Streamers and balloons make any celebration feel special, so why not add them to your decorations for a baby shower? Hang colorful streamers or festive balloons from the ceiling or along walls, depending on your theme. You can even incorporate the theme into the balloons by using shapes like starfish or seashells for the “Under the Sea” theme. The possibilities are endless!
Step 4: Make DIY Decorations
Get crafty with DIY decorations such as paper flowers, banners, or origami animals. You can find plenty of tutorials online that will guide you through the process. DIY decorations add a personal touch to the event and save you money. So, get creative and make unique decorations that your guests will love.
Step 5: Include Personalized Items
This step was a game-changer. Including personalized items made the event feel special and unique to the mom-to-be. You can hang a banner with the baby’s name, make custom centerpieces with pictures of the couple, and even have personalized cookies with the baby’s due date. Seeing the decorations come together with these personal touches will be so rewarding, and it can make the baby shower even more special and heartfelt. Personalized items also make great keepsakes that the mom-to-be can cherish.
Step 6: Set Up Games and Activities
It’s a step that can add so much fun to your baby shower and entertain your guests. Plus, it’s a chance for everyone to interact and bond. Some popular games include diaper changing races, guessing the baby’s due date, and naming that baby’s food. But don’t forget to include activities that can double as decorations for baby showers. You can have your guests create a onesie decorating station or decorate wooden blocks that the parents-to-be can keep as a keepsake.
These are just some creative ways to make your own decorations for a baby shower. With a bit of creativity and effort, you can throw an amazing party that everyone will remember. Check the video below for more ideas.
Baby Shower Theme Ideas and Color Palettes
In order to help get you started, here are some of the best baby shower themes, along with their corresponding color palettes:
Under the Sea Theme – Blue, Green, Yellow
Let’s explore how to create a fun Under the Sea-themed baby shower with blue, green, and yellow colors. This theme will be perfect for a baby boy or girl and will surely be a hit with all your guests.
- Invitations and Decorations: The invitation sets the tone for a party, and an Under the Sea baby shower requires something creative and unique. Consider creating invitations in the shape of fish, seashells, or starfish. You can use shades of blue, green, and yellow to reflect the Under the Sea theme. When it comes to decorating the venue for the shower, keep the blue, green, and yellow color theme. Use balloons in the same colors and hang streamers to create an underwater scene. You can also use paper cutouts of fish, starfish, or any sea creature you place on the walls.
- Table Settings and Centerpieces: Create an oceanic vibe by using fish netting on side tables, and centerpieces can be made of seashells, sand-filled jars, or floating fish bowls. Add tableware such as plates, napkins, and cups with sea-life patterns to complete the look.
- Diaper Cake: A diaper cake is a trendy and practical decoration for baby showers that can be customized to fit any theme. For our Under the Sea baby shower, use blue, green, and yellow ribbons to tie around each diaper. Add small sea-creature toys, and decorate the top of the cake with various sea animal figurines.
- Desserts and Refreshments: Make the desserts and refreshments as fun and creative as possible. Seashell-shaped cookies, cupcakes with sea-themed frosting, and colored drinks are a few ideas to consider. Serve drinks with colorful umbrellas or plastic fish stirrers to add to the décor.
- The Little Extras: To make guests feel special, offer them little extras like cute party favor bags filled with goodies. You can customize them with sea-inspired messages or just your guests’ names. For the mom-to-be, create a photo booth with underwater-themed props such as a mermaid’s tail, snorkeling gear, or fish hats, to name a few.
Unicorn Theme – Pastel Pink, Pastel Blue, White
A unicorn baby is among the best baby shower themes if you’re looking for a magical and whimsical theme. With its soft pastel colors and sparkly details, a unicorn-themed baby shower will create a memorable event that will be discussed for years. In this blog post, we’ll share our best tips and tricks for creating beautiful unicorn decorations that enchant your baby shower.
- The Color Scheme: The color scheme is an important aspect of any unicorn-themed baby shower. Typically, a mix of pastel pink, pastel blue, and white creates a soft and dreamy atmosphere. You can incorporate these colors throughout the party, starting with the invitations. For example, you could use pastel pink or blue cardstock for the invitations and add glitter or a unicorn sticker for a magical touch.
- Decorations: When it comes to decorating for a unicorn-themed baby shower, the key is to keep things whimsical and playful. You can use pastel tablecloths and sprinkle some confetti or flower petals around the centerpieces for the table setting. Speaking of centerpieces, you could create your unicorn centerpiece using flowers and a unicorn horn (easily found online). You could add a little sparkle to the table with glitter unicorn figurines or confetti.
- Dessert Table: A unicorn-themed baby shower isn’t complete without a dessert table that’s just as enchanting as the decorations. For the main cake, you could have a white or pastel color frosted cake with edible gold or unicorn horn decorations on top. Alternatively, mini cupcakes in pastel colors with unicorn toppers would make a perfect snack. You could also have a candy bar with pastel-colored candies arranged in a rainbow shape. Remember, the point is to have fun and make it as magical as possible!
- Activities: While the decorations and dessert table are important, don’t forget about the activities! For example, have a station where guests can decorate their unicorn cookies or cupcakes. Another activity could be a DIY unicorn headband, where guests can create their own headband with a unicorn horn, flowers, and ribbons. A photo booth with unicorn-themed props would also be a hit. Lastly, remember party favors for the guests to take home, such as a mini unicorn plush toy or a unicorn-shaped bubble wand.
Jungle Theme – Green, Brown, Yellow
The jungle theme is perfect for a baby’s gender reveal! Bring the wilderness and explore the exotic vibes of nature with this theme. From vibrant decorations to delicious desserts, your guests will love it.
- Invitations: Your invitations set the tone for the entire event. Consider using jungle animals, leaves, or safari prints on your invites. You can even use cute phrases like “Welcome to the jungle, baby!” or “Wild about our newest arrival!” This will give guests an idea of what to expect and excite them about attending.
- Table Settings: A great table setting can make all the difference in your decorations. To incorporate the jungle theme, consider using tablecloths or runners in green or brown and add pops of yellow with napkins or floral arrangements. A centerpiece with jungle animals or greenery can tie the look together. Add cute touches like animal-shaped place card holders or personalized jungle-themed placemats.
- Centerpieces: Jungle-themed centerpieces can be easy and affordable to make. One idea is to use large leaves, like palm or monstera, as a base for the centerpiece. Then, add small plastic animals or tropical flowers to create a fun and lively look. Another idea is to use wooden crates or baskets as a base and fill them with greenery, flowers, and stuffed animals.
- Wall Decorations: Creating a jungle atmosphere on the walls is a great way to make your baby shower feel like a true adventure. Consider hanging green streamers or vines from the ceiling to give the room a jungle canopy feel. Cut out large leaves and animals from green construction paper or use animal-print banners to add a pop of fun.
- Party Favors: Send your guests home with a fun, memorable party favor that fits the jungle theme. Think about small stuffed animals, animal crackers, personalized succulent plants, or even mini jars of homemade jam with jungle-themed labels. These thoughtful gifts will keep the party spirit alive long after it’s over.
Fairy Tale Theme – Pastel Pink, Pastel Blue, White
Who doesn’t love a good fairy tale? The magic, the beauty, and the happy endings make for the perfect inspiration for a dreamy baby shower.
- Venue: The first step to creating a magical atmosphere is choosing the right location. An outdoor garden or a cozy indoor space with big windows and natural light would be ideal for a fairytale-themed baby shower. Consider the shape and size of the location when planning the decoration elements – like hanging chandeliers, fairy lights, and floral arrangements – to enhance the space’s natural beauty.
- Table Setting: Think of pastel-colored tablecloths, dainty flower arrangements, and charming decorative pieces like golden serving platters, vintage tea sets, and crystal vases. Add fairy-tale-inspired elements like miniature castles or carriages as centerpieces to transport your guests to dreamland for an extra touch.
- Dessert Table: A fairytale-themed party calls for a magical candy buffet with everything from macarons to cupcakes to match the theme. Think of pastel-colored treats such as pink lemonade cupcakes, French blueberry macarons, and meringue cookies. Add fairy-tale-inspired decoration pieces like golden carriage props, pink flower garlands, and sparkly blue flags to make the dessert table even more enchanting.
- Photo Booth: A photo booth is a must-have at any baby shower, and a fairytale-themed photo booth is even better. Set up a backdrop with a fairy-tale-inspired illustration like a castle or a big tree with fairies, and add some props for guests to pose with, like crowns, wings, fairy wands, and magic mirrors. Hire a professional photographer – or have a friend with a good camera – and let your guests snap memorable moments that will last a lifetime.
- Little Details: The little details are what make a baby shower truly special. Think of small gifts and favors for your guests, like mini tea sets, personalized candles, or small jars of fairy dust (glitter). Add tiny details on the table, such as a themed menu card; a thank you note, or a card with a fairy tale quote. Let your imagination fly, and don’t forget to have fun with the planning process.
Vintage Floral – Navy Blue, Blush Pink, White
One fabulous theme to consider is the vintage floral, incorporating navy blue, blush pink, and white. The combination of these colors creates a classic yet modern ambiance that makes any baby shower feel special.
- Invitations: Start your vintage floral baby shower by sending out invitations that match the theme. Look for invitations with a navy blue and blush pink color scheme, and make sure they have a classic yet modern design to reflect the event’s overall look. You can also add some white accents or touches of gold to give it that extra touch of elegance.
- Decorate with Baby’s Breath Flowers: Baby’s Breath is a classic staple in any vintage floral theme. It’s economical yet gives your decoration a romantic touch that your guests will love. You can have it placed on the center of each table or act as a backdrop to your dessert buffet.
- Be Creative with Your Dessert Display: Creating a dessert display with vintage floral accents will make your guests swoon. Use glass jars with tags, floral cakes, and patterned plates. You can also use navy blue and blush pink pompoms and paper fans hanging from the ceiling to make the space more elegant.
- Don’t Forget the Balloons: You can use navy blue and blush pink balloons to match your theme. Decorate the balloons with small artificial flowers or tie a ribbon to take it up a notch. Use a bunch of balloons and tie them to the back of the chairs or use them to decorate the dessert table and photo booth.
- Add Personal Touches: Create a baby shower guest book and add personal touches, such as hand-painted florals or the mom-to-be’s due date. Provide props, such as floral wreaths, hats, headbands, and boas, for guests to embrace and take memorable pictures. You can also hand out personalized “pamper me” packs to the guests as prizes for baby shower games. Use a custom label that says “Thank you for Celebrating with Us.”
Woodland Creatures – Brown, Green, Orange
This theme brings together earthy colors like brown, green, and orange and features adorable animals like foxes, bears, and rabbits. In this post, we’ll share some tips and tricks for creating unforgettable Woodland Creatures baby shower decorations that your guests will love.
- Invitations: A great way to tie in the Woodland Creatures theme is to use invitations that feature animal silhouettes or earthy tones like brown and green. Consider including a cute rhyme or poem that ties in the theme, like “A little one is on the way, so we’re celebrating in a Woodland way!”
- Create a DIY photo booth: Set up a backdrop to look like a forest scene and include props like animal masks, fake leaves, and even a cardboard stump for guests to sit on. Your guests will have a blast getting silly and taking photos to commemorate the occasion.
- DIY centerpieces: Consider using natural elements like pinecones, twigs, and acorns to create a rustic and earthy vibe. For a fun twist, include small animal figurines like foxes or hedgehogs in the center of each table.
- Food and Beverages: No baby shower is complete without tasty treats for your guests to enjoy! Again, try to tie in the theme with the food and drinks you serve. Consider offering animal-shaped cookies, like a fox or bear cookies, or serving small sandwiches cut into cute shapes like leaves. For beverages, create a signature drink like a “Foxy Fizz” made with orange juice and champagne.
- Send guests home with a cute favor: Finally, send your guests home with a memorable gift that ties in with the Woodland Creatures theme. Consider creating small bags filled with acorns or pinecones or gifting a small stuffed animal like a fox or bear. You could also include a tag with a cute saying, “Thanks for ‘branching’ out and celebrating with us!”.
No matter what theme you choose or the colors you select, I hope these tips on making decorations for a baby shower have inspired you to create something unique and memorable. Good luck creating the perfect decorations!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the tradition of a baby shower?
A baby shower is a special time before a new baby comes when friends and family gather together to celebrate the mama to be and her growing family. Usually, there’s lots of food and games, and of course, decorations for the baby shower! It’s like a mini party but with an added focus on babies. And it’s not just about getting presents for the baby – it’s more about showing support and love for the mom as she enters this exciting new chapter of her life. I always love going to baby showers – there’s something so sweet and special about them.
How many guests should be in a small baby shower?
Are you picturing a cozy and intimate gathering with your closest family and friends, or are you going for more of a lively and festive atmosphere? Either way, I think a good rule of thumb is to aim for around 10-30 guests. This allows for a nice mix of people without feeling too crowded or overwhelming.
How long should a baby shower be?
Generally speaking, a baby shower can take two to three hours. Of course, it depends on several factors, like how many guests you invite (and how many can make it), the type of activities you have planned, and whether or not you’ll be serving a full meal or just light refreshments. Personally, I think two and a half hours is a sweet spot – long enough to have some fun, but not so long that guests start getting antsy or bored. Remember, it’s all about celebrating the mom-to-be and having a good time together!
How early to host a baby shower?
The sweet spot is generally between 4-6 weeks before your due date. Of course, you want to make sure you’re feeling up to it, but also give yourself enough time to not only plan but also potentially make any last-minute adjustments. And let’s be real, who wants to feel like their feet are the size of watermelons while trying to enjoy some games and presents? So, keep that timeframe in mind as you start planning.
How much money do you need for a DIY baby shower?
The guest count is the main factor in figuring out how much money you’ll need. More guests mean more food, decorations, and party favors. However, there are plenty of ways to keep costs down. Make your decorations using items you already have, like streamers, balloons, and homemade banners. Have guests bring a dish or dessert to share instead of catering. And for party favors, consider putting together little goodie bags with inexpensive treats or even small plants or succulents. Of course, if you really want to splurge, go for it! But now you can also pull off a lovely DIY baby shower on a tight budget.
That’s it for my thoughts on decorations for a baby shower! I hope I was able to give you some inspiration and ideas. A baby shower is a great opportunity to get creative and make the event feel special. There are just so many adorable options out there! From bunting to banners to balloons, there are plenty of ways to add visual flair to the party. And let’s not forget the table settings! Just a few well-placed flowers, candles, or little trinkets can go a long way in making everything feel cohesive and polished. No matter what your personal style is, there’s sure to be a decoration out there that speaks to you. So in my opinion, it’s definitely worth taking the time to put some thought into the decorations for your upcoming baby shower.